- Linda Charmaraman Appointed Forbes Ignite Scientific Advisor
December 15, 2020
Senior Research Scientist Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., has been appointed as Forbes Ignite’s new Scientific Advisor.
- Study Examines the Role of Pets in Adolescents’ Online Social Interactions
A journal article co-authored by Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., explores how pets can act as either a substitute or a complement to social interactions online.
- Medical Xpress: Quantity, content, and context of social media use may affect adolescents' sleep
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., of WCW and the Youth, Media & Wellbeing Research Lab is quoted in this article describing her new study on adolescent sleep and bedtime technology habits.
- Quantity, content, and context of social media use may affect adolescents’ sleep
November 2, 2020
A new study finds that the quantity of social technology use, type of content viewed, and social context is significantly related to later bedtimes and less sleep for early adolescents.
- VeryWellHealth: Dogs Significantly Improve Teens' Social Development, New Research Finds
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., of WCW and the Youth, Media & Wellbeing Research Lab was mentioned in this article that describes the links between pet ownership and teen social development.
- Lifewire: Why is Facebook Going Back to College?
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., of WCW is quoted in this article discussing Facebook in the time of COVID-19 as it relates to incoming college students.
- WCW Hosts Workshop for Middle Schoolers on STEM, Digital Wellbeing, and Identity
August 20, 2020
The Wellesley Centers for Women teamed up with the Wellesley College Computer Science Department to host a virtual workshop that helped adolescents explore their identities, introduced them to STEM concepts, and taught them about healthy social media use.
- Education Dive: Navigating cyberbullying more difficult amid COVID-19, but there are options
Senior Research Scientst Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., spoke with Education Dive about the positive ways middle schoolers have been using social media during COVID-19.
- Webinar Links Remote Learning, Social Technology, and Social and Emotional Learning
July 31, 2020
Two programs of the Wellesley Centers for Women collaborated to host a webinar that explored the roles of social technology and SEL in remote learning.
- Now Recruiting Middle School Students for Virtual Summer Workshop on STEM/Digital Wellbeing
July 13, 2020
The Youth, Media & Wellbeing Research Lab is looking for middle school students to participate in a free summer learning program that begins July 27.
- When Social Distancing Collides with Social Media
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., shares tips for parents wondering how to help their children maintain a healthy relationship with social media during isolation.
- Bay State Parent: When social distancing collides with social media
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., comments on the positive and negative impacts social media use can have during COVID-19.
- Q&A with Student Research Assistant Katie Du
May 14, 2020
Undergraduate student research assistant Katie Du reflects on her work with our Youth, Media & Wellbeing Research Lab, and her experience as an international student at Wellesley during a pandemic.
- Your Teen Magazine: There is Plenty to be Gained from Social Media for Middle Schoolers
Dr. Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., discusses the positive and negative impact of teen and tween social media use during COVID-19 in a video interview with Your Teen Magazine.
- Insider: How Social Media Affects The Mental Health of Teenagers
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., and her research is quoted in this article on the impact of social media on the health of teens.
- The Week: The Truth About Tweens and Screens
Senior research scientist Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., shares her insight on the different ways kids engage with and feel the effects of social media.
- Adolescent Development in an Age of Social Media
January 29, 2020
Senior Research Scientist Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., served as a guest editor for a special issue of the Journal of Adolescent Research focused on adolescent and emerging adult development in an age of social media.
- Wired: I Monitor My Teens' Electronics, and You Should Too
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., director of the Youth, Media & Wellbeing Research Lab discusses the evidence for parental monitoring of online and mobile content and associated positive outcomes.
- Baystate Parent: Should You Buy Your Tween a Smartphone? An expert weighs in
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., senior research scientist, discusses some of the important factors parents should consider when thinking about purchasing a cell phone for their tweens.
- New York Post: Why Teens Shoot Video of Violence Instead of Helping
Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., director of the Youth, Media & Wellbeing Research Lab, discusses the causes of a growing phenomenon: teens’ failure to act in situations of violence.
- Wellesley College: Wellesley Centers for Women Partners with Local Middle School to Promote Healthy Social Media Use
Senior research scientist Linda Charmaraman, Ph.D., helps teach middle schoolers about social media’s impact on their lives and healthy ways to use it.
- WCW Partners with Local Middle School to Promote Healthy Social Media Use
July 29, 2019
Dr. Linda Charmaraman turned her research into action when she co-led a workshop teaching middle schoolers to use social media in healthy ways.
- NIH Awards Wellesley Centers for Women Funding to Promote Undergraduate Research
October 17, 2018
NIH awarded WCW $450,000 over three years to study social media use of early adolescents while providing Wellesley College students with hands-on research opportunities.