Project Directors: Judith V. Jordan, Ph.D.
The workshops, courses, trainings, and publications at the Institute utilize the Relational-Cultural Model of development, which focuses on 'growth-fostering relationships' as central to positive human development.
The work of the Jean Baker Miller Training Institute is based on the Relational-Cultural Model of development, which grew out of a collaborative process of theory-building initiated by the scholars at the Stone Center for Developmental Services and Studies, now a part of the Wellesley Centers for Women. This model focuses on growth-fostering relationships as the central human necessity and disconnections as the source of psychological problems. It assumes that all growth-fostering relationships and all disconnections are constructed within specific cultural contexts.
The workshops, courses, professional trainings, publications and ongoing projects at the Institute explore new applications of the relational-cultural approach and integrate research, psychological theory and social action. At the heart of this work is the belief that Relational-Cultural Theory opens the way to a new, beneficial paradigm for understanding human experience. Current programs at the JBMTI include:
- The Fall Intensive Training Institute — Providing the most thorough examination of the key concepts and recent developments in Relational-Cultural Theory.
- The Summer Advanced Training Institute — Providing advanced training to clinicians, academics, and researchers interested in new applications of Relational-Cultural Theory.
- The Spring Institute — A working conference exploring the development of relational intelligence in workplace settings and using Relational-Cultural Theory to transform workplace practices.
- The Working Connections Project — An ongoing project applying a relational-cultural approach to workplace change, promoting productivity and growth for organizations and the people in them.
- The Mothers-Sons Project — Offering workshops focused on strengthening mother-son relationships to enhance boys' development.
For more information, contact:
Jean Baker Miller Training Institute
Wellesley Centers for Women
106 Central Street
Wellesley, MA 02481