National Institute on Out-of-School Time (NIOST) is collaborating with the Foundation for MetroWest to conduct research on youth outcomes from their Youth in Philanthropy (YIP) program. YIP works with middle and high school students in one of the largest youth philanthropy education programs in the country. This mixed-methods study includes a youth survey administered before and after participation in the program, and a focus group with parents.
The goals of this research are to improve program practices and to address the following questions:
- How do youth understand philanthropy and the MetrowWest community?
- What does community mean to you?
- How knowledgeable are you about non-profit organizations?
- How do you give back to your community?
- What skills develop through YIP?
- How do youth plan to change the MetroWest community?